Sunday, January 29, 2006

Burdens

I was at Borders a few days ago, and a book called A Calendar of Saints: Lives of the Principal Saints of the Christian Year was on the remaindered rack. Quite a nice book for eight bucks. I was paging through it tonight and found this, by Bernard of Clairvaux:

The character of God's eternal and just law is this: that those refusing to be ruled by God's gentleness will have the misfortune of being ruled by their own selves; that whoever voluntarily throws off the gentle yoke and light burden of charity will be obliged to carry the unbearable burden of their own will.

It had occurred to me before this that Christ said "My yoke is easy and my burden is light." He didn't say, "I have no yoke or burden to give you." Just that His was the lightest one you could pick up. A heck of a lot lighter than the one you'll end up making for yourself, otherwise.